Font choices & prices (was Re: [clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Dec 23 13:35:39 MST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:35:51 -0700
Matt Gushee wrote:

> These technical differences tend to be more important for running text,
> and good hinting and spacing really help to make the text readable. You
> can't judge quality in this sense by looking at font samples, and
> ordinary readers don't judge it consciously at all--but it will
> certainly affect their impression of a document, even if they can't
> explain why.

There's another piece to this. I recall reading, in a design article some
time ago, that in general, print (as in manuscripts, rather than posters)
is better done in a serif typeface, and video in sans-serif. The article
talked about the role of serifs in eyeball fuction, or something like
that. In general, I find that to be true. Particulary with the computer
display end, rather than the print end. But maybe that's the result of
having poorly hinted serif fonts on my machine?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/