[clue-tech] upgrade question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 10:15:20 MST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:58:16 -0700, Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:
> I have a P1 that is running Suse 9.0 and Win2k dual boot.  I'm tired of the
> lack of speed and memory, but don't want to reinstall the existing aps or
> risk losing data.
>
> If I buy a P4 sans hard drives and just slap in my two existing physical
> hard drives, will the system be smart enough to pick up on the hardware
> changes during the boot process, or am I risking some unsuspected system chaos?

I believe that any software you have compiled for a P1 or earlier
should be aok on a P4.  The only questions I have are:

1. The harddrive controller will be much newer. I presume but ????
that it will be backward compatible with your drives.

2. Of course you will potentially need new drivers for sound card and
nic(s) if not using the old hardware.

--
 Collins