[CLUE-Tech] Business alternatives to DSL.

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 31 14:20:59 MST 2004

Here's a summary of what happened with this, thanks again to all who
replied:

David Anselmi wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions how to provide Internet access to a small
> office?  It's in an office building so I don't know whether Comcast et.
> al. provide there.

Qwest doesn't yet provide DSL to this building.  If they did it would
easily be the best value (around $50/mo. for 1.5M/1Mbps).

Comcast might be the next best at $95/mo for 3M/384kbps.  I assume that
their residential rates aren't available at an office and that they are
able to run cable into the building (which doesn't have it yet).

One thing we do with this is run an app over a VPN so I was curious
whether they could increase the upload speed beyond 512k, if 384k turned
out to be too slow.  Their AUP also prohibits servers and I wanted to
know whether a VPN counted as a server (seems like it would) and how
much a static IP cost (which then permits servers).

But I never got anything back from them.  When I called I got a "give me
your info and a sales rep will call" person who couldn't answer any
questions (thought that a static IP might be $30/mo which seems high).
The sales rep didn't call within the 2 business days promised and
calling back to check got me on hold.  So Comcast loses a sale.

Next best, which we settled on, was XO Communications.  They charge
$150/mo for sDSL at 384kbps.  They could also provide phone service
cheaper than Qwest and with a 2 year signing discount the total turned
out to be the best.  We'll see how it goes, the office upstairs uses
them and has no problems.

Next you can get iDSL at 144k from AT&T, Earthlink, Speakeasy, and
probably others for $100-150/mo.  That seems pretty slow for the price.
  I guess there's also ISDN at 128k for (I hear) $70/mo from Qwest.
That's slower than we'd like so we didn't look at it.

Finally CBeyond was recommended but they only provide T1 services (voice
and data) for $495/mo.  If you're spending that much it might be a good
deal but we aren't there yet.

I didn't look at any of the satellite suggestions.