[CLUE-Tech] my beloved pine and pico

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Sat Feb 7 12:50:20 MST 2004

Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> writes:

>>Also, as much as people think emacs is the editor from hell, it can
>>actually be quite easy to use.  For one thing there is no distinction
>>between "command" mode and "edit" mode (ala, vi).  Plus, with the
>>menus and such, I think a newbie could do quite well.
>>
> No, of course it's much easier to use ctrl-c ctrl-m ctrl-x ctrl-f to
> load a file!  Honestly I think vi is easier.  I only say that because

Yes, I can smell the hyperbole.  But seriously, if you do not like a
particular key mapping than change it.  (The command to this is even
in the options menu :-) )

There is also a nice pattern to emacs's key bindings -- the most
common commands are bound to ctrl-x and one other key like ctrl-f (for
File) or ctrl-s for save.  Not exactly rocket science.

I think that my point was missed:

1.  most novices certainly do not know the "power" commands for any
    editor.  That said, one can simply use the arrow keys for
    navigation in emacs.

2.  most emacs installations are sufficiently modern to present the
    new user with a WIMP interface for editing files.

3.  and my most important claim is that there is not a distinction
    between command and edit mode.  I found most novices were very
    confused by this with vi.

> amount of time to learn.  Therefore, once you learn one, the law of
> diminishing returns just isn't on your side to learn the other one.

Not really.  I first learned vi then emacs.  I still consider myself
proficient with either editor.  I just prefer emacs for any kind of
in-depth editing (coding, email, writing, etc.)  I admit that I still
grab vi for "quickies" especially for quick root tasks or on remote
systems where I do not already have an emacs process running.

-Dale