[CLUE-Tech] Mozilla and Tabs

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Wed Feb 11 11:30:04 MST 2004

Quoting Ski Dawg <skidawg at dscweb.net>:

> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 07:11, Adam Bultman wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> > > see me hitting the middle mouse button like a monkey trying to open a
> > > coconut), but is there anything mozilla supports in the anchor tag <a>
> > > for opening new windows in tabs?  Something like target=_blank,  but
> > > maybe target=_tab?

I don't think this will ever happen or should happen.  You would need a W3C
agreement on it and that seems unlikely since the _blank and client side
settings can do the same thing.

> > I don't think that Mozilla has the ability to do that, but Galeon does.
> > "Open new windows in tabs".  However, I haven't been able to use Galeon in
> > a while, which is too bad - I really like galeon.

Mozilla can do that.  ctrl+click opens a link in a new tab.  You can also use
TabBrowser Preferences or TabBrowser Extensions (TBE).

> I was able to do that with Firebird 0.7 version. I just had to load an
> extension. I think the one I used was called Tabbrowser Preferences (it

Yes, I believe the Preferences has a basic version.  TBE also has a "only open a
new window when I ask for it" which is super nice.

Greg