[CLUE-Tech] PHP/XML and CDATA Woes: The Answer

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Feb 12 22:12:13 MST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:52:35 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> Well, that approach would certainly free you from worrying about the
> low-level stuff (e.g. handling end tags). Of course (as I'm sure you
> know), writing good XSLT code is a non-trivial task*, and performance
> could suck depending on what processor you use. If you want to use some
> XSLT, I'd suggest looking at libxslt. It's a GNOME component, but it's
> one of the lowest-level ones, so it doesn't depend on much else. It is
> mostly standards-compliant and blazingly fast (at least, compared to
> every other XSLT processor I've seen); there seems to be a PHP wrapper
> for it:
>
>     http://nona.net/software/phplibxslt/

I'll have to remember to look at that some day. I'm inclined, at the
moment, to use what I have, since it now works -- although it's not yet
robust enough for my tastes (needs better error checking, for example).
Using XSLT would be, I think, a better long-run choice, since I expect
that formatting changes, when they come up, will be easier to implement.

I have a copy the Sablotron XSLT library, but I haven't even built it into
PHP yet.

It could be, that for the CLUE server, limiting the number of "extra"
software packages we need to maintain is a good thing -- perhaps switching
to an XSLT implementation when a later release of PHP includes it as a
standard feature.

> Matt
>
>  * But I can help if need be.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind.