[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Mon Feb 16 11:11:36 MST 2004

Jeff Cann wrote:

>Given this:
>
> + http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/13/HNlinuxoffice_1.html
>
>If MS Office were available on Linux, would you pony up for it?  Why / not?

No, I refuse to buy Microsoft Office (and, for that matter, other
MS/Windows products) for a variety reasons: its cost is grossly
inflated, MS's ethics are such that I do not want to deal with such a
business, MS's poor support policies,its proprietary file formats and
the gathering of unnecessary personal data when I am forced to register it.

There are other FOSS products that work just as well as Office and are
GPL and treat me respectfully as a customer.

In fact, the last version of Office I owned is Office 97 running under
Windows 98, which I keep because some my computer-challenged friends use
it and need my support from time to time.

Although I have to say that I really wish someone would update
WordPerfect: it got me through two Master's degrees, and I have never
found a better word processor. Now it, I would pay for.

BOF