[CLUE-Tech] Roaming profiles using USB flash drive on MS and Lin

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Wed Feb 18 09:19:12 MST 2004

Hi,

I use a variety of MSWin2K/MSWinXP and Linux machines as my desktops.  I use
programs (e.g. Mozilla, gaim, etc.) on all of these machines.  I would like to
bring my profiles, settings, bookmarks, log files, etc. with me from machine to
machine.  X-Forwarding the display from some main machine is not an option for
me because I frequently need access to this information when my network access
is slow or limited (various corporate firewalls, dialup, etc.).

I started to think about putting this information on a disk that I take with me
and then setup my gaim and Mozilla to use these locations for my profile
information.  A floppy has the drawback of being slow and too small.  I'm
curious about using a USB flash drive for this purpose.

Anyone have any experience sharing a USB flash drive between MSWindows and Linux
desktops?  Any brand or model that people recommend?  Any "gotchas" in terms of
how to mount it or setting up the directory structure so that this will work?

Thanks,
Greg