[CLUE-Tech] Cracking websites

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Feb 21 23:01:45 MST 2004

But what's the crack?  You can still only do things as apache or
nobody.  Of course if you're afraid of people seeing certain files, make
them unreadable by apache.  Linux systems aren't locked down that
tightly by default.  By default people with shell accounts can read
lilo.conf, which keeps the password unencrypted.  To fix this problem,
you make certain files go-rw I guess.  The shadow file is locked down
though.

Also, you can also tell apache to run "as if another user."  I know with
virtual hosting you can give it a different user for each site.    I
think using  <Directory> </Directory> in httpd.conf you can do this too
for certain directories.