[CLUE-Tech] 20 Troubleshooting Tips for Mac, what about Linux?

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 21:37:46 MST 2004

> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004011205473937
>
> and began asking the question: do we have anything for Linux? What do
> you all think?

My personal opinion: That thing is laughable. Too general to offer much
of any specific help to specific problems. Utterly Microsoftish. To wit:

01 Restart
If a restart cures the problem, and the problem doesn't reappear, your
troubleshooting work is done.

IOW the classic Microsoft fix: reboot and see if that "fixes" the
problem.

04 Repair permissions
See if this cures the problem.

What a crock of shit! These are an idiot's approaches to "fixing"
problems - try various things seemingly at random and see if any of them
"fix" the problem. Whatever happened to reading error messages, looking
at logfiles, applying actual intelligence toward determining the root
cause of a specific problem and taking appropriate action rather than
grasping at straws, throwing one thing after another at a symptom and
seeing what happens. Linux/UNIX is cool in that it offers the user the
opportunity to think, to use brainpower and intelligence. It provides
certain challenges.

Do we have anything like this checklist for Linux? Gawd, I hope not.

ct