[CLUE-Tech] Re: [CLUE-Talk] Upcoming Oracle presentations question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Feb 29 23:44:35 MST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Collins Richey wrote:
> I didn't think Debian would have anything to do with any software that
> isn't 100% true blue Richard Stallman favored gpl licensed open
> software? At least they've made those noises in the past.

I'm not asking for a Debian-released version of Oracle.  I'm asking why
Oracle will not officially support customers running Oracle on Debian
Linux systems.

It would seem with as amazingly stable and secure as Debian's stable
releases truly are, Oracle would benefit from giving full support to
anyone running Oracle on Debian's "stable" branch.  Debian's internals
are cleaner and second to none due to filesystem policy (long before
FHS came out, Debian had a filesystem policy), and their releases are
slow enough, even a behemoth like Oracle can handle the changes.

Instead Oracle actively and officially supports the mess now known as
"RedHat Enterprise Linux", otherwise known as "the retreat back to
RedHat 7.2 hidden in a Marketing name-change".

Personally I think the only reason anyone's paying $300 for it is
BECAUSE companies like Oracle won't support other distros properly.  If
Oracle/Debian Stable were an officially recognized Oracle platform,
sales of RHEL would plummet.

Nate