[CLUE-Tech] Networking

Russell Glissmann rglissmann at rfgsolutions.com
Sat Jan 3 15:41:42 MST 2004

Okay, I've got a personal stumper...
Two machines, both running Fedora Core 1.  Both on same network,
although they are on two different switches.  When downloading from the
Internet, (via cable modem) I get great speeds.  However, if I download
from machine to machine across my personal network, my speeds are
terrible (we're talking 6 - 10kb/sec, versus 100 + kb/sec).  This is a
100Mb switched lan.  The Internet is plugged into the same switch as my
first machine, while the second machine is plugged into the second
switch.  Again, the second machine on the second switch can download
great from the Internet, which is on the same physical switch as the
first machine.  I don't understand what is different about downloading
from the Internet versus my local LAN.  I've noticed that on my second
switch the collision light is constantly flashing when downloading from
machine to machine.  That may be a clue, but I have no idea what the
clue means!
Thanks for any ideas!

Russ