[CLUE-Tech] bios forcing shutdown?

Dave Price dp_kinaole at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 00:15:46 MST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:16:35PM -0700, Jason S. Friedman wrote:
>I must have adjusted something terribly wrong, because now
> when I boot my machine it comes on for a few seconds and
> then turns itself off!  I cannot even get to the bios
> screen in order to change the settings.

Jason,

What type of MB or BIOS?

To get back into the BIOS, try:

1> Tapping the key-stroke on the KB that would start the BIOS,
REPEATEDLY from the moment that you apply power, perhaps to the extent
of generating a KB error message and interrupting the POST process.

2> Disconnect or remove power from all CD and Hard disk drives - this
should cause a POST error message, which will get you back into the
BIOS also.

... Also, some BIOS's let you tap F-10 to get a 'Boot Device Menu'
rather than permanently changing any settings ... Try that.  You may
also want to pretend that nothing 'terribly wrong' is actually
happening; certainly there is some inconvenience in not booting, but
like children and pets, the recognition that you might be getting
frustrated may actually cause your system to 'act worse'.

aloha,
dave