[CLUE-Tech] Linux 802.11b

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Mon Jan 12 08:19:17 MST 2004

"Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net> writes:

> Need advice on what 802.11b PCI wireless LAN card folks are using
> successfully with Linux.
>
> I bought a Linksys WMP11 PCI 802.11b card, because I had read up on
> it earlier and it worked with Linux (prism drivers from Linux-WLAN).

Been there.  Done that.  I brought a WPC11 which I thought was
supported, but I discovered mine was a version 4, which has a
different chipset.  *Grrrr*  Well, I have the card running, but I have
had to use a very specific kernel version and the driver still has
issues if I do not explicitly shut it down before shutting the
machine.  Of course, this is all for the laptop.

For the desktop, I took a much, much easier route.  I bought a
wireless ethernet bridge.  Very slick and easy to use.  Sure you have
to have a regular ethercard, but those are easy!

-Dale