[CLUE-Tech] procmail

clue hp205ctl at hotpop.com
Thu Jan 15 09:14:11 MST 2004

Mike Staver wrote:
> I'm still wrestling with my inbox and mailing lists such as this one. I
> belong to several, and I'm beginning to get confused with all the mail in
> my one inbox :)  Somebody sent me this code to try before:
>
> :0:
> * ^Subject:.*\<subject to match\>
> some_mail_folder
>
> So, I changed it to:
>
> :0:
> * ^Subject:.*\<[CLUE-Tech]\>
> mail/clue
>
> And that didn't work... I got a lot of spam in that clue folder for some
> odd reason, and only like 30% of the mail list messages went in there...
>
> So, I decided to try to make my own which also does not work:
>
> :0:
> * ^To: \<clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us\>
> mail/clue
>
> I would like to filter based on the To field because some of the mailling
> lists I belong to don't alter the subject, just sent the mail out to the
> "list" email address, so if I know that, I figured I could filter based on
> that, but obviously I don't know enough about procmail to make this work.

For properly set up mailing lists, there will be some unique header to filter on.
For CLUE-TECH (and other mailman lists) there are several - look at your raw mail
file if your email program doesn't show full headers well.
Try:

:0:
mail/clue

other list specific headers are List-Help, List-Post, List-Id, List-Subscribe, etc...

For clueless lists with only the "To" header use:
(note no space after "To"

:0:
* ^To.*clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
mail/clue

Also, read the procmailrc and procmailex man pages, and look at "TO" and "TO_"
for possibly useful filters.

Todd Williams