[CLUE-Tech] WiFi costs!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jan 19 13:01:15 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:02, Dale K. Hawkins wrote:
> OMFG, I had no idea how much the damn WiFi service costs!
>
> I am not sure, if I want to pay that much so I can surf the web while
> drinking overpriced coffee!
>
> So, back to the drawing board!
>
> I will call Higher Grounds in Golden.
>
> I will also try to contact Mines and see what we can do there.

Hi Dale,

Yes, the StarBucks / T-mobile hot-spots are mighty pricey!

The Wi-Fi at Higher Grounds is free, they have plenty of 112-VAC
outlets, and usually have table space on weekday evenings (and the
coffee and service are good, too!).  Call ahead to see if they have any
events (live music) planned that night.

If you want Wi-Fi access at Mines for a _NON-MINES-AFFILIATED_ group
such as the Hacking Society, then the easiest way is to get your "event"
sponsored by one of the many student groups.  Its strictly a formality
but without it a Hacking Society meeting would violate Mines' use
policies.  There used to be a Linux student group (email:
linux at mines.edu) but its been mostly inactive for the last two years.
There is, however, a student ACM chapter

  http://www.mines.edu/Stu_life/organ/acm/acm.html

that might be willing to act as a sponsor.

When I organized Hacking Society meetings, I chose Higher Grounds mostly
to avoid any violations of Mines policies (plus, not having to deal with
annoying things like doors being locked after business hours which Mines
does for most of its buildings).

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com