[CLUE-Tech] More 802.11 Woes

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jan 19 13:14:57 MST 2004

* Nate Duehr (nate at natetech.com) wrote:
> On Sunday, Jan 18, 2004, at 20:13 America/Denver, Timothy C. Klein
> wrote:
> Your network looks "similar" to mine here, but I'm using Linksys stuff.
>
> Oh, my ASCII art stuff sucks though... so I won't even attempt it.
> However I have done exactly what you're attempting with the Linksys
> AP's and they work fine.  Multiple wireless AP's in "client" mode or
> bridging mode with nodes "behind" them on their ethernet ports,
> connecting to a central AP doing real wireless AP duties.

Damn, I almost bought the Linksys WET11, too, but I was annoyed with
them.

> There is one major difference, however... in-between Dslap and Zoom on
> your diagram, I have a Linux box that is the firewall for all the
> private-side stuff.  All the internal boxes DHCP from it if they're not
> on statics for port-forwarding or whatever, and they all know it as
> their default router.  Since it knows what interfaces it's seen traffic
> from internal addresses come from, it's routing things "back in"
> through what in your network would be Dslap to the other machines.
>
> Perhaps the Dslap box can't deal with routing between two bridged
> wireless segments internally but a machine beyond Dslap could handle
> routing for the entire internal network out to the outside world
> instead of letting Dslap and Zoom do it... just a possibility... also
> gives you a great place to tcpdump from to see what's going on when
> things are not happy.  ;-)

I had thought about this.  I can scrounge up enough parts to put a P133
there.  But -- this is in my living room.  Right by the front door.  I
don't like the idea of having a computer, Dsl modem, AP, and all
associated wires right by the front door, next to my fireplace.  This
house is 50 years old -- only 2 phone jacks, 1 in living room, 1 in
family room.  Needless to say, when they built it they did not string
any CAT5 ...

So do you think it is too much to ask of the point-to-multipoint bridging
mode to be able to not only bridge the zoom to each leg, but each leg to
the other?  It seems reasonale to me, but I am not a networking guru.

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==