[CLUE-Tech] ssh or PGP encrypted wireless ethernet bridge?

Jeffrey Brown JABrown at co.jefferson.co.us
Thu Jan 22 08:15:39 MST 2004

>>> ockers at ockers.net 1/21/2004 10:50:36 AM >>>

> I was wondering if anyone has built or knows of a wireless ethernet
> bridge system that uses RSA keys or SSH or something to encrypt the
> wireless traffic?

Know of but not implemented.

> I'm also sure that the Linux kernel IPSec, or a ssh or vtun tunnel,
> would work fine between links with IP addresses on each end.

> I'm not sure how to make the bridging software work when the end
> points don't have an IP address because it's a bridge.  Can you use
> IPSec over a bridged link?

> Anyone have any clues or pointers for me?

IPSec would be the way to go for this although it's not very
communicative when things don't work right. In the 2.6 kernel BSD's
(or KAME's) IPSec stacks have been imported .. racoon from FreeBSD
and isakmpd from OpenBSD. From the OpenBSD's man page on their
bridging  utility (I haven't messed around with the Linux bridging
util)
it mentions using protocol 97 and a GIF to tunnel the frames over IP.
Here's the link:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=brconfig&sektion=8&arch=i386&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+3.4

Good luck to you in what you're trying to achieve .. it isn't easy :)