[CLUE-Tech] PHP and XML Woes

Greg Knaddison greg at knaddison.com
Fri Jan 30 06:07:05 MST 2004

Quoting "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com>:

> What I'm trying to do is use XML to represent information for the CLUE
> website, and manipulate that data using PHP. Now, much of it is very
> straightforward, but there are a few cases where I want to allow
> completely free-form text, because the data is too arbitrary to try to
> force into a particular structure. An example would be a block of HTML,
> contained in an event listing. The event listing might, for example,
> contain a hyperlink to map.

How about putting the marked up text into it's own file and putting a reference
to that file as an include in your xml:

<para>path_to_includes/meeting1.inc</para>

Then the PHP could take the bit of "normal" text in the XML tag and use it in a
<?php require($include_file); ?>.

Maybe you lose whatever benefit there is of having all the information in XML,
but you gain a smaller XML file and a workaround to your source problem (though
not the documentation problem).

Greg