[CLUE-Tech] Impressive, Green One

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 1 17:21:13 MDT 2004

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>Humm... from your review it's hard to see where you find SuSe personal
>so far ahead. ;) They sound pretty similar: install worked on
>both. Screen size wasn't detected correctly by either. Sound and
>Network were problematic on both.

That's 'cause it's hard for me to explain... the YaST stuff for
configuration just seems to work correctly and not do anything insane
underneath the pretty GUI to configuration files I've messed with by
hand... but unless someone's watched other GUI-based configuration
programs trash their hand-made configs, it's very intangible.

Also Fedora Core 2 felt very very slow on the machine -- like the kernel
was compiled with some incorrect option somewhere.  But I also added RAM
inbetween so I've been saying publically that was the problem.  But I
don't fully believe it... FC2 was VERY VERY slow on this hardware.  More
than my experience can chalk up to adding RAM fixing it.  But I'd have
to blow away SuSE and put FC2 back on here with the higher RAM to prove
it.  And I don't like pointing the finger on the website at FC2 without
having actually done the test...

>On bluecurve (I also think it's fuggly) it's just a theme, you should
>be able to download and switch to any kde/gnome theme you like.
>I have a bunch of KDE themes I snagged and I never use bluecurve. ;)

Agreed here, but first impressions... (GRIN)... the installer was just
so much cleaner... and remember, I'm used to Debian's installer.   (Cough.)

>Nate> Yay Novell for allowing SuSE to release the ISO images!
>
>Agreed. More linux the better IMHO. ;)

Amen!  (GRIN)

I can't share the details, but the question came up at work today about
why we don't have a Linux port and run on Solaris... it was just
rumblings from a larger business thing going on far away from me, but I
was super-happy to hear Linux rumblings inside the telco world today.
Finance, Airlines, Research, and all the really high-end folks went to
Linux before the mid-range and the low-end thanks to clustering... I'm
just waiting for it to trickle back down to me so I can get back to
"daily Linux"... I miss it.

>Now back to downloading the latest knoppix so I can burn a bunch of
>copies and spread them around while I am traveling this weekend.

You putting them inside the hotel room Bibles like Sean?  Heh heh.
:-)   I thought that was hilarious.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com