[CLUE-Tech] Impressive, Green One

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jul 6 02:58:44 MDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 8:32 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> Humm... from your review it's hard to see where you find SuSe
>>> personal so far ahead. ;) They sound pretty similar: install worked
>>> on both. Screen size wasn't detected correctly by either. Sound and
>>> Network were problematic on both.
>
> Nate> That's 'cause it's hard for me to explain... the YaST stuff for
> Nate> configuration just seems to work correctly and not do anything
> Nate> insane underneath the pretty GUI to configuration files I've
> Nate> messed with by hand... but unless someone's watched other
> Nate> GUI-based configuration programs trash their hand-made configs,
> Nate> it's very intangible.

For those that don't follow Slashdot, there was a nice link to a very
nice comparison between FC2, Mandrake 10, and SuSE 9.1 posted recently.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=70

He grabbed some very nice screenshots of all three by using VMWare.
(Someone asked him in the comments section how he did it.)

The site's a bit slow right now... (slashdot effect), but I plodded
through and generally I'd agree with everything the reviewer said.
Looking at the table that shows the versions of X in the systems, I
wonder if FC2's choice of X is what made it so slooooow on this laptop
with an Intel chipset for graphics...?  Hmm... oh well.  Not going to
dig for that answer.

So far, I've had no luck getting ALSA to play nicely with the Intel
chipset based sound "card" on my laptop machine.  I have a feeling it's
just something I never picked up on in how to use ALSA in general --
Neither Fedora nor SuSE audio works, but both detect the same Intel
chipset.  I need to go do more reading I guess.

It was also kinda fun to poke around through flexbeta.net -- hadn't
seen the site before, and it seems like it has some useful/fun
information about all sorts of varied "stuff".  I kinda like the layout
of the site, too.  (There's that "intangible" thing again.)

Hopefully everyone had a good July 4th holiday.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com