[CLUE-Tech] Impressive, Green One

j7s12b j7s12b at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 21:44:38 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 03:58, Nate Duehr wrote:
> For those that don't follow Slashdot, there was a nice link to a very
> nice comparison between FC2, Mandrake 10, and SuSE 9.1 posted recently.

I read that, it was nicely done.

I got Novell's Technical Resource Kit (TRK) a week ago or so
in the mail. I installed it right off.

I have to say, I was both surprised and impressed.
After 6 years of Red Hat, Mandrake, Red Hat, and
Fedora (in that order) I regret not having given Suse
serious consideration before.

The install was as nice as I have ever heard it was.

It is very usable from the start. Even updates were
available from within the install. Sweat.

It is graphicly very pleasing and well laid out.

They didn't puss out on the mp3 playback issue
like RH/Fedora. That really irked me but I bought the
RH install cd's anyhow.

Yast rocks, I wish I had that before.

The version the TRK shipped with has a very nice
complement of packages.

There are a lot of other good points. I have a few not
so good points too. Im sure there are simple fixes for
these but I haven't had the time yet.

The network fails to start on boot (cable modem/comcast)
I have to issue "/etc/init.d/network start" to get it up.

On-board sound is still a pain in the rear. I have to re-adjust
the levels in the alsa mixer after a logout or reboot to hear
sound. I hate on board sound.

...actually, those are the only obvious problems/annoyances
I have had so far with Suse pro 9.1 "out of the box"

This box is a new HP a600n  Athlon XP2800, 512GB, cdrw/dvdrom
combo, 9in1 card reader(works with sd that I know of) box. I haven't
had a lot of time to dig under the hood though.

Unless I stumble upon a good reason not to, Im thinkin
of migrating all my home systems to Suse.

I guess this is more of a mini review then a comment but I
really like this distro.

PS.
There is one thing that really gets under my skin. Spell
checking under Linux. The thing that bugs the cheese and
rice out of me is that our own dictionary don't contain
common every day Linux terminology. WHY THE HECK
NOT? For example, the following words in this email are
not in [a|e|i|o|u]spell or what ever by default;
* mp3
* init
* init.d
* distro
* alsa
* Suse
* Athlon
* cdrw
* dvdrom
* sd ( I can see this one not being there)
* Yast

I guess its my own fault for noticing it but not fixing it.
Maybe if someone collected up peoples ~/.aspell's and
~./ispell's we could put together a package. Call it glexicon.bz2 ...

tell ya what, send them to me and I'll work on that.