[CLUE-Tech] upgrading from FC1 to FC2

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 12:25:30 MDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:15:28 -0600, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> Debian tests that style of upgrade, Fedora does not.

I think this is kind of apples to oranges...

> If it's not possible to do a apt-get dist-upgrade and end up with a
> sane system coming from any stable release to any stable release, it's
> a Release Critical or Grave level bug in Debian.  I've never seen that
> level of dedication to online upgrades from RH/Fedora.

Start with being able to do an FTP/HTTP install of Fedora. Then
recognizge that many people have successfully done upgrades in the
RH/Fedora recommended manner of: run anaconda, select "upgrade"
instead of "reinstall".  You get pretty close to the debian style
upgrade, right?

> Not saying this to start a distro war about upgrades... it's just an
> observation.  If you need in-place upgrades, go with a distro that puts
> a higher priority on them.

So maybe this is the difference - the "in place" part of it.  Seems
like you're guaranteed downtime when you do the Debian upgrade due to
a reboot (I assume a reboot since the Debian rev-levels appear to be
tied to Kernel release levels)...you just might have more of it when
doing the RH/Fedora style of release upgrade.  Right?

I'm not sure how much more downtime you'd get even - According to
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=70&perpage=1&pagenum=2
it only takes 13 minutes to do the Fedora install to begin with and an
upgrade should be faster because it doesn't have to reformat/partition
anything.  Having to do 3 of those a year  (which is about the Fedora
release) keeps you at three 9s of uptime and Fedora's not the
"production" distribution.

Greg