[CLUE-Tech] Mail Delivery (failure clue-tech@clue.denver.co.us)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Jul 8 12:40:39 MDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 02:10 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> >Was that in fact a virus?  I don't know,  running kmail here stuff with
> ><filename>.scr shows up with an icon that appears to be related to audio?
> > I get several of those a day,  and also <filename>.pif,  and several
> > variants on the .exe and .com files,  usually with names that are
> > supposed to mislead folks that are stupid.  I get tired of dealing with
> > them.

> These are executable files in windows.  .scr is a screensaver,

I didn't know that,  thanks.

> and thanks to the default windows behavior of hiding file extensions,
> readme.txt.exe looks like readme.txt

Some of these,  particularly the ones that get stuck in zip files,  are doing
things like "some.doc                                                 .exe"
as well,  so if it does show up say in a browser's status line you may miss
the tail end of it.

I've noticed that a bunch of these all seem to have about the same size, too,
and although I'd have to sit down and list them to be sure I suspect that
there are only a few variants.  The size 22,016 bytes comes to mind,  for one
example -- I *know* I've seen that one a whole bunch of times.