[CLUE-Tech] Mail Delivery (failure clue-tech@clue.denver.co.us)

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Thu Jul 8 16:13:48 MDT 2004

At 03:42 PM 7/8/2004 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:10:53 -0600
>Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

>  Best solution is to use comcast.blackholes.us as a
> > dnsbl, then whitelist their legit smtp servers in your access.db with
> > the following entries:
> >
> > connect:smtp.comcast.net        OK
> > connect:rwcrmhc11.comcast.net   OK
> > connect:sccrmhc11.comcast.net   OK
> > connect:sccrmhc12.comcast.net   OK
> > connect:sccrmhc13.comcast.net   OK
> >
> > another workable alternative appears to be to blacklist
> >
> > .client.comcast.net     REJECT
> >
> > So far, everything I bounce coming from their trojaned machines has
> > that pattern
> >

>Unfortunately, most isp's and list moderators who choose to block
>comcast aren't quite this intelligent. They just block the entire
>comcast ip address range, and to hell with legitimate users.
>
>My attitude is this: if they block messages from me, I don't need them
>anyway; there's more than one fish in the sea. I'm on lots of lists and
>have received no complaints, and I certainly have no complaints about
>comcast service.

700 million out of 800 million messages being generated in comcast address
space daily(?) turned out to be spam coming from trojaned home
machines.  Comcast did a good job of ignoring the problem until the smtp
servers ended up in the blacklists too. When their sales people couldn't
get their mail delivered, they finally decided that it was time to address
the problem.

Charles Oriez     coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"Drag God into politics, and you'll ruin his reputation in no time." -
Molly Ivins