[CLUE-Tech] SuSE on the eMachines M2105 saga continues

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 14 08:10:53 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I like SuSE, but it refuses to see my modem.  I usually use wvdial
> because it seems to do fine with my modem, but on SuSE it can't even
> detect the modem.  Do you have any idea why this might be?

What device is your modem using?  If it is set to be com[1-4] (in DOS
terms) then SuSE should see it as /dev/ttyS[0-3] and all should be well
(though you might have to configure your dialer if it can't autodetect).

If it is not on one of these (including if the IRQ has been set
differently to avoid conflicts), you probably have to use setserial to
hook it into one of your serial devices (ttyS*).  If you don't have the
right ttyS[0-3] file you have to make one (with mknod).

minicom is a pretty good program for testing modems.  You can run it on
your various ttyS* devices and see which one will answer to "AT".