[CLUE-Tech] Compensating for insufficient printer memory

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Jul 17 13:19:39 MDT 2004

Hi, all--

I recently bought a used HP LaserJet 5L, which works fine. Except that
it only has 1MB of memory, so many large documents just won't print.
I'd like to buy more memory for it, but unfortunately it requires a
credit-card type memory module, which seems to be very hard to come by.
Nobody's got it locally; I could buy it direct from HP, but they charge
about $370 for 4 megs [GAG, SPLUTTER, COUGH!]. It's been suggested that
I try eBay, and I may end up doing that, but ... I dunno, for whatever
reason I really dislike buying anything online. Or maybe I should just
buy a different printer.

Anyway, whatever I end up doing about the hardware, for at least the
next couple of weeks or so I'm stuck with this, and I have a lot of
stuff to print. So my question is:

  Is there a way to configure the spooler to split up large jobs into
  chunks that the printer can handle? I'm using CUPS, and its manual
  doesn't seem to address this issue; I could switch to LPR or LPRng
  if absolutely necessary.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.