[CLUE-Tech] Installation on secondary HDD's

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Jul 26 23:18:18 MDT 2004

On Monday 26 ShortJuly 2004 09:33 pm, Richard C. Savage wrote:
> I hope this is the sort of question that elicits the "Sure, no problem!"
> response.
>
> So long as the restriction to install a boot partition (~100 MB or less)
> within the first 1024 cylinders on hda is satisfied,

Don't even need this restriction, unless your hardware is very old.  And even
then, it may only be the < 1024 cyl. restriction.

> then the rest of a Linux installation, i.e.,  /, /usr, /home, swap, etc -
> can be installed on hdb,hdc, hdd, etc. On any secondary hard drive?
>
> Potentially, it might even be installed on sda, sdb, etc?, where these
> might be flash drives?

My machine is now long in the tooth -- five years?  It installs just fine with
zero consideration for < 1024 cyl. stuff, no special boot partition.  I don't
install on hda, I install on HDE, or HDF (and I have also done HDA and HDG
and HDH).  Those are the raid IDE channels on my machine, which I don't use
for RAID, but they are faster than the 4 primary channels.  I use those for
CD-ROMs and ZIPs.

I've never run into any trouble.  At least not since 1998 or so, and then it
was with old hardware from that timeframe.   Seems like you can install just
about anywhere.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...