[CLUE-Tech] Suse 9.1pro and chkrootkit

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Jul 27 16:06:18 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 ShortJuly 2004 02:02 pm, David Anselmi wrote:
> Timothy Klein wrote:
> [...]
>
> > DHCPD has to put the network card in promiscus mode to listen
> > to everything on the wire.
>
> Does it have to?  Or is that just the way it works?  I would think that
> broadcast packets would be delivered even without promiscuous mode (but
> there may well be brain damaged NICs out there that this works around).

I dunno.  Both of the dhcp daemons I have used put the NIC in promiscuous.

I am no expert on that level of networking detail.  So I should say, it is
quite possible for dhcpd to put the card into promiscuous mode.

(But I am sure that neither of my dhcpd processes were tampered with.)

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...