[CLUE-Tech] USB trouble -- Solved (sorta)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jul 31 20:42:01 MDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:12:25 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Matt Gushee wrote:
> > Thanks to all who responded. I have the scanner working with the
> > laptop, but still no go on the desktop.
>
> "The network is the computer."  You can have the laptop mount (NFS,
> Samba, etc.) a directory from the desktop.  You can run the scanner from
> the desktop (ssh, with or without X forwarding).  "The best of both
> worlds.  Heaven right here on earth."

It's even better than that. If you're going to have both machines up, Sane
has the ability to access a scanner over the network. It runs some sort of
daemon/listener on the machine with the scanner. I don't know the gory
details, cuz I never had a need to set it up.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/