[CLUE-Tech] Mounting FAT32 partition as /home

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jun 1 11:51:06 MDT 2004

Well I decided to install Debian.  In the process, I had this Great Idea:
I would mount a fat32 partition under /home to allow it accessible by
Windows.

It didn't work.  I thought for sure if I just made it umask=000 in fstab,
it would work fine, but for some reason X won't allow me to log in.  Does
anyone have any idea why it won't let me?  Is it because everything on
that partition is owned by root?

The root user, which has its home directory under /root instead of /home
is able to log in to X fine.  Are there any special reasons why the fat32
partition would have conflicts?  my fstab is basically vfat and
defaults,umask=000

Angelo

--
What this country needs is a good five cent nickel.