[CLUE-Tech] If you administer a mail server, you might find this useful.

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Jun 4 04:41:24 MDT 2004

Hi Dan,

dan radom wrote:

> * William (bkimball1 at yahoo.com) wrote:
> > I released my first GNU GPL project yesterday, dubbed popauth3 -- a derivitave of the original POP
> > before SMTP daemon, popauther.  It was engineered for use with postfix, but it is modular and can
> > be easily extended to other MTAs.
> >
> > What's important is that it offers a stronger anti-UCE stance than most other solutions, including
> > automated null-routing of repeat offenders.  Even if you don't need the POP before SMTP
> > authentication mechanism (easily disabled), you should find this useful.
> >

> Hmmm.  Im confused.  You fight UCE with your pop client?  That is
> certainly less than optimal.  Anyway.  Thanks for the list spam.  Could
> popauth3 null route these types of messages?

Actually I administer several mail servers and I think that a tool like
popauth3 could be useful to fight UCE.  Perhaps you don't have a bunch
of remote users who use hotel, dialup, wireless hotspot, or other
Internet connections.  As you know mail servers have to restrict somehow
mail they accept for relaying.

If a mail server accept any old mail for relaying, then the spammers
win.

If you restrict the relaying to a few IP addresses, then the spammers
can't use your mail server as a relay, but neither can your mobile
users.

If you have a tool like popauth, then the spammers still can't use
the mail relay, but your mobile users can.  This is how it fights
UCE.

What about the original post makes you think it's list spam?  I took
it as an announcement of a potentially useful software tool.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/