[CLUE-Tech] slashdot images blocked?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Jun 4 09:52:18 MDT 2004

Hi Angelo,

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> >> For some time I've been getting this:
> >>
> >> 400 Bad Request
> >> Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.
> >>
> >> When I try to view any images on slashdot.  Is this something slashdot is
> >> doing?
> >
> > Works fine for me.  Since you didn't say what image or what request your
> > browser sent that's all I can tell you.
> >

> It's every single image on slashdot.  And this only happens at work where
> we have a verizon DSL connection (if that has anything to do with it).
> When I use my dialup at home, everything works fine.

To help you with this we might need to know what browser & version you
are using.  I wonder if Slashdot is rejecting connections from you if
there are too many connections at once.  As you may know some browsers
violate the HTTP/1.1 standard of 2 (IIRC) simultaneous HTTP connections.
In particular Opera (fastest browser on earth) makes 10 or more
simultaneous connections, depending on user configuration.

You can hack the Windows registry so that IE makes more than the HTTP/1.1
recommended number of connections, which dramatically speeds up IE as
well.  (Makes it almost as fast as Opera, don't cha know.)

If you use a HTTP/1.1 compliant browser do you still get the image
requests rejected?

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/