[CLUE-Tech] Secure authentication POP/IMAP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 4 10:01:04 MDT 2004

Is POP/IMAP authentication usually secure?  I guess when setting up my
email client in Mozilla, I notice that it has both "use secure
authentication" and "use secure connection" which I take to mean... that
even if I am use the pop3s daemon, my authentication might NOT be secure?

Actually this is an issue for me.  Ever since my Amazon.com account got
broken into, I've been wanting a secure method of authentication for
retrieving my email.  The real problem is that even though someone getting
into your email is bad enough (e.g. they can ask Amazon.com to resend the
password to your email), it's even worse when you have an account on a
UNIX/Linux server where the password for email is the same as the password
you use to login via shell (and don't even get me started on what might
happen if one of these people is a sudoer).

Angelo

--
The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the
`social sciences' is: some do, some don't.