[CLUE-Tech] Partition Tools

Robert Woods rfwoods at maxbr.com
Fri Jun 4 12:59:32 MDT 2004

My stepson is working on an installation of RedHat 7.1 to a Windows/XP
system. I apologize up front for the sketchy details.

That said I know this.

1)      It is to be dual boot.
2)      It is to be backup to a production server that is running RH 7.1.
Hence the distro and release choice.
3)      He did do a de fragment on the XP partition
4)      He is attempting to use fips to partition the drive prior to RH
installation.
5)      The hardware is acer.
6)      fips is generating an error number of sectors does not match
partition info.

On observation I have is that possibly XP has a "hidden" partition for
system recovery. Although XP does not seem to have a fdisk program that
might be helpful in displaying this information.

Questions:

1)      What are the alternatives to fips you might suggest?
2)      Ideas on the nature of the problem.

Regards Bob Woods