[CLUE-Tech] Linux on Sparc: Need Media

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 11:05:04 MDT 2004

> The CD appears to be Sun. The shoebox is slightly damaged (cosmetic),
> so
> whatever logo was on the LED panel is gone. But the appearance looks
> like
> some other Sun external peripheral stuff I've seen.
>
> Most useful at this point would be if there's a command from the boot
> prompt I can use to see if the CD is recognized -- a "list hardware"
> sort
> of thing.
ok set auto-boot?=false
ok reset-all
ok probe-scsi-all

it's important to do the reset before the probe-scsi, otherwise it can
hang the system.

> Yeah, I know there's an old CLUE-Tech thread on this that I need to
> track
> down -- just haven't done it yet.
>
> >  Never installed linux on one though, I
> > figured why bother, since Solaris works perfectly fine.
>
> Because Linux is free, and Solaris isn't?

Solaris is free as in beer for systems with less than 1 CPU, while I
don't really like their licensing much, I think it's worth it
sometimes, just to get the directory server (if that is something you
need).

Brandon