[CLUE-Tech] Re: SPARC systems/Linux

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Jun 7 21:51:14 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Chris Schock wrote:
>
>> Brandon is correct, Sun doesn't supply Linux for the SPARC, only
>> Solaris.
>> You can however install Linux on the sparc - redhat for example makes a
>> sparc distribution. Many distributions don't though, so your choices
>> will
>> be limited.
>

> RedHat hasn't made a Sparc distro since RedHat 6.2 or so -- they
> dropped Sparc support early-on.

I have a friend with some redhat derivative on his sparcstation.  I have
gentoo on mine (Sun enterprise 2).  Gentoo runs well, although I'm
currently having some difficulty updating my compiler. I have everything
on it that I need, except I can't get 2.6 to boot on it...

I ran my sparc with linux on it as my previous employer's production
mail server for a few months  on a previous install of gentoo - very
solid.

I don't know if Gentoo'll run on your IPC, but if you want another one,
I've got one with a dead EPROM in my basement, waiting to be recycled
somehow.  It used to be in the computer lab at my college before they
upgraded to Sparc Ultra5s.

Adam