[CLUE-Tech] Re: SPARC systems/Linux

dan radom dan at radom.org
Tue Jun 8 10:06:07 MDT 2004

* Brandon N (bneill at yahoo.com) wrote:
> I'm not aware of Sun ever providing Linux/SPARC.  Also, I don't think
> you can jumpstart linux, there may be ways to install from the network,
> but that isn't quite the same thing.  Most Ultra's come with a CDROM
> drive, but there are some Netra's that didn't, however you can hook up
> an external drive to them.

Redhat sparc became aurora linux, and current release version is based on
rh 7.3 and the dev version is some fedora derivitive.  I'm running a
combination of aurora and gentoo on Ulrea 5's, an Ultra 1 and some misc
sparcstations.  Both distros run well.

Linux can be installed over the network.  Hell.  It can even boot and run
off the network.  It's a pretty simple process involving rarpd, tdtpf,
bootpd / dhcpd and nfsd.

dan