[CLUE-Tech] Disappearing files

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Jun 10 09:51:46 MDT 2004

A few weeks ago a directory disappeared on one of our servers.  It was
mysterious and there was no apparent way to find out how it
disappeared.  I looked through the log files and couldn't find any
evidence of what had happened.  So, I ended up rebooting with fsck in
case it was a filesystem error, and decided to leave it at that until it
happened again.

It happened again.  Only this time on another server.  This hints
towards a legitimate person from the office updating the server
accidentally deleting files.  Then again maybe not.  But I would say
this probably isn't a case of a filesystem screw-up.  Since this has the
potential to continue happening, are there any utilities out there which
can monitor filesystem changes, by whom, and when?  I'm guessing this
will have to be some sort of log that the kernel keeps.

Angelo