[CLUE-Tech] Yum: Fedora and RH 7.3 updat

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jun 10 21:56:18 MDT 2004

While we are on the subject of distros and updating:

How many of you are using yum to update your Fedora and RH systems?

I've got a lot of RH 7.3 systems at work I have to update.  I am
beginning my rollout of FC1 (FC2 not available for our bladesystems) and
I'm planning on using yum for both.

Problem: I haven't yet found a way to get yum to exclude certain
packages.  I have some packages that shouldn't change (hello, KERNELS!).
When yum decides to update, I get screwed, and I sit re-installing lilo,
kernels, snmp, and various other packages.  Sure, I can get my rsync to
exclude those things, but then yum on my client machines die because
it's looking for, but can't find, the kernel.

If ANY of you have found a way to exclude packages in the update, please
let me know.  I am desperately working to find a way to not update
system-specific programs, but so far, the internet hasn't netted me
jack, and it's annoying both me, and to a lesser extent, my boss.

Thanks!

Adam