[CLUE-Tech] distro question

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 11 10:00:51 MDT 2004

Adam Bultman wrote:
> That's right, I'm top posting.  My comment is an general one, not
> necessarily picking and choosing from the below lines.

Well, thanks for trimming your quotes anyway ;-)

[...]
> I like gentoo for a few different reasons:
> 1.  It is source based, but requires very little intervention from me.
> 2.  Dependencies are solved automagically.
> 3. I don't have to surf the net to get new packages.
> 4. It doesn't have problems like RPM and APT have (and yes, I know how
> to use both).
> 5.  HArd to install programs (gnucash, mplayer, xine) work fine and
> install easy.

Except for 1., Debian works this way for me.  And maybe 1. too if I'd
ever bothered with source packages.

Re 2., if you install a package and it brings along 3 packages it
depends on, do those 3 go away automatically when you remove it?

Re 4., what problems have you had with apt?