[CLUE-Tech] unable to see cdrom - debian linux,

Ryan Grow ryangrow at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 09:35:13 MDT 2004

Hi,

I have installed Debian linux (woody) on my PowerSpec
PC.
With the 'safe' kernel install (2.2.20-idepci), I am
able to see the cdrom drive fine and perform a mount
/cdrom succesfully.
I can also look in the proc files to get info on the
cdrom:

less /proc/ide/hdc/driver
ide-cdrom version 4.58

less /proc/ide/hdc/model
LITE-ON LTR-52327S

So I upgraded to the 2.4.18-686 kernel using dselect,
and with that kernel booted I can not see the cdrom.
I also noticed earlier when I attempted to install
this version of the kernel directly from the debian
CD, it didn't
give me the cdrom as an installation medium option,
which is why I installed the 'safe' kernel first.

Has anybody had this problem before?  Here is a
transcript of my attempt to see the cdrom:

mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx	1	root	root	3	Jun 15 08:19	/dev/cdrom ->
hdc
ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----	1	root	disk	22,	0	Mar 14 2002	/dev/hdc

If I go into the proc filesystem, under ide, I can not
find a reference to the hdc device like I could with
the older kernel.

Thanks!

Ryan