[CLUE-Tech] sendmail query

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 18 16:54:40 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
[...]
> BTW, sendmail isn't that bad.  For what reasons do you avoid it?

Its security record and the things I've heard people say about
configuring it.

I had a test server once and although I wanted sendmail to accept
locally generated mail I didn't want anything actually delivered.  Our
Solaris admin (11 years experience) told me she wouldn't touch the
config because it worked and if she messed with it she'd never be able
to make it work again (working wasn't important to me, but keeping her
configs similar was important to her).

Granted she may not have been the best admin, and she wasn't a full time
mail admin.  But unless you are a full time mail admin and know that
sendmail is better for you than the alternatives (is there any case
where that's true, barring those who grew up on it and don't know
anything else?) I'd recommend one of the other MTAs that are easier to
configure.

Take this thread for instance.  You and I both read the sendmail docs as
saying Charile was asking for what he got (not that they were all that
easy to read).  Charlie found something completely different to fix it.

Maybe I'm dense, but that's what I think.