[CLUE-Tech] cheap/free certificate authorities

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jun 19 08:28:16 MDT 2004

Charles Oriez wrote:
[...]
> what they do is not sensible.  also not logical.
[...]

Your experience with MS code signing is a little different than
installing a root CA that Brandon is asking about.  Sounds like all MS
apps use the same cert store though (no surprise).

> I asked on one of the MSFT usenet groups why they were using Verisign
> instead of their own certs, but never got a satisfactory answer.

Running a CA is a little more involved than just getting the root cert
built into browsers.  I can see how it makes sense to MS to use the
"experts" rather than do their own.