[CLUE-Tech] Frustrated with BIND9

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 14:04:04 MDT 2004

While I'm not new to DNS, I am new to administering BIND.  Naturally, I'm having some trouble with
my first configuration.  I don't mind fixing this myself, as long as I can get some logs out of
named.  Unfortunately, I cannot get any logging output no matter what I try.  Here is the relevant
config settings (/etc/named.conf) -- in desperation, I've thrown just about everything into this
to no avail:

logging {
        channel debug_log {
                file "/var/log/named/named.log" versions 5 size 10m;
                print-time yes;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                severity info;
        };
        category debug_cat {
                debug_log;
                general;
                database;
                security;
                config;
                resolver;
                xfer-in;
                xfer-out;
                notify;
                client;
                unmatched;
                network;
                update;
                queries;
                dispatch;
                dnssec;
                lame-servers;
        };
};

Version (running on Red Hat Fedora Core 1):
BIND 9.2.2-P3

And the permissions of that log file path:
[root at shinji log]# ls -latr
drwxr-xr-x    2 named    named        4096 Jun 24 10:41 named
(snipped)

I've set the severity to everything between debug 1 and 10, and info, as you see above.  I've
tried to start the daemon in debug mode (-d 10, and -d 3).  I've run every variation of the rndc
tool to activate logging.  While all these commands and configs are accepted without complaint, I
still have no logging.  All I want is to troubleshoot my configuration!

I have run named-checkconf, no errors.  I have run named-checkzone on all my zones and each
reports OK.

Assuming I have everything set correctly based on my extensive reading of the man pages and the
bind9.net website, how can I get logging output from BIND?  Is this some kind of bug, or is there
some arcane spell I have to cast on named to make it show output (becuase I have done all I can
based on the documenation)?  Thanks all!

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)