[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL Pricing Change

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Mar 1 13:28:03 MST 2004

* Mike Staver (staver at fimble.com) wrote:
> I've got it at Buckley & Quincy... I'm amazed that being that close, you
> can't get it.  I just don't get the telecoms - they could make a lot of
> money by offering the service in areas if they would just put the work
> in initially.

A remote DSLAM costs them ~ $100,000. They look at time to payback.
If there aren't that many customers forecast, the time to payback the
initial investment is 30 or 40 years. The average crossbox is only going
to serve a couple thousand people, at most (as long as it is not in the
heart of a business district, ala DTC or Downtown). But if you happen
to be stuck on a crossbox that serves 300 people, and they decided most
of you are not likely to buy DSL, you're SOL. That is the situation my
cousin is in -- and he works at Qwest! Even his bugging (weekly) the
manager that allocates the money doesn't help.

(The non-remote DSLAM DSL stuff is almost all deployed, as that is done
at the Central Office, and thus has a very wide customer pool.  If you
are on copper and can't get DSL, it just means your line sucks. )

It's just your typical capitalism, sadly.

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==