[CLUE-Tech] How do website authors maintain their sanity?

Mike Miller mike at millertwinracing.com
Sun Mar 14 15:39:55 MST 2004

A common problem with webmasters is: They're too close to the work and
become picky. ;) The reality is: for the 'customer' hitting that site, it
does its job in presenting the topic. They're not going to know or care if
stuff a pixel or two off. The IMPORTANT thing is that you pitched the huge
background, improving the download speed of the page.

It looks adequately fine in IE6 on my system.

And it doesn't take much to be a webmaster....it takes quite a bit MORE to
be a GOOD webmaster.

Here's how I woulda done it before I went from Webmastering to Network
Security:

Build a page sized table with zero x and y borders so that it tucks up into
the upper left corner(possibly Two tables as your widths change about
150pixels down the page) The top table would have three columns with a fixed
pixel width for the first column, a fixed pixel width for the second column,
and a '*' width for the last column. I can be chopped so that the first part
of the left margin is in the cell, the green part with the title and address
are in the second column, and the * width is empty with a green background.

(btw, leaving the address as an image is a bad idea...it's nor searchable,
nor is it visible by non graphics browsers, of by folks with vision issues.)

The second table would have the left image graphic as the background, a
fixed height, and the menu and logo in the foreground (with an alt tag for
the logo), the text would be in the second column, and again, another '*'
column for pick up the slack.

This limits the ultimate width that the page is rendered at, but really, you
don't WANT the text on the page to flow to the right for 1600 pixels....past
a certain point, it becomes hard to read. By using tables (and images as
backgrounds or foregrounds in each cell) you can overlay graphics on top of
each other, and the standards for rendering tables are MUCH more stable.