[CLUE-Tech] backup solution

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:31:57 MST 2004

Mike S.,
I'm not a tape expert by any means, so feel free to correct me, but I think
that there are some incorrect facts here.
DDS3 tapes will hold 12Gb of data, the 24Gb is a manufaturer assumption of 2:1
compression ratio. If you're pushing compressable data to the drive and have it
setup to do hardware compression you may be getting 24Gb on each tape.
DDS4 tapes hold 20Gb and again advertise 40Gb with compression. I did some
looking for a 120Gb drive and all I could find were autoloaders that hold 6
tapes and say 120Gb in their name or description.
If you want 120Gb per tape you'll want to look into DLT or LTO. I have an 8
tape DLT changer from Dell that works for me. I know other people here that
love their LTO drives. I found this review at Tom's hardware that should be
good reading: http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030225/

As for software, I swear by AMANDA. It is free which suited my needs well and
open which suited my tastes well. It is all command line based so there is a
learning curve, but once you have it setup there isn't much to it. It does all
the figuring of what kind of backup to do for each drive/partition each day so
you don't need to think about that at all. If you have very simple needs though
then I'm sure you could cook up a simple shell script to run tar or dump.

Good Luck,
Mike Robbert

* Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> [03/15/04 17:45]: