[CLUE-Tech] Apache question

Hani Duwaik hduwaik at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 15:25:28 MST 2004

--- "Francis X. Maier" <franx at qwest.net> wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time setting up a simple Apache server on my
> Yellow Dog Linus 3.0 box.
>
> 1.  I use vi to go into /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>
> 2.  I write the ServerName as my static IP (don't have a domain
> name).
>
> 3.  I tell the server to listen to [static IP]:80
>
> 4.  DocumentRoot is default /var/www/html
>
> Do I need to remove the quotation marks in lines like "var/www/html"
> or
> "/etc/httpd" to enable them?
>
> When I try to connect to my static IP from another computer, the
> connection just hangs and fails.  When I try to do it from my YDL
> box,
> I get a "connection refused" message.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

In addition to confirming that apache (httpd) is actually running, you
may also want to check your firewall settings.  If you have a firewall
(iptables?), try turning it off during your initial tests.

Just a thought ...

-Hani

=====
Hani Duwaik
The Unknown:
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

—Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing - Rumsfield