[CLUE-Tech] monitor standby stops working?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Mar 22 01:27:21 MST 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:54:10 -0700
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> I have a rhat 9 system.  Upon reboot, the monitor will automatically go
> to standby after 5 minutes (or whatever the timeout is).  However, after
> running for a few days, the monitor no longer goes into standby mode.
>
> I thought this was a BIOS setting, which (if correct) seems weird that
> it would stop working after the computer runs for a few days.
>
> Any suggestions on where to start looking?

I was going to suggest you check your dpms settings. This is what controls
screen blanking under X. But then I recalled that you run KDE, and I don't
know how it interacts with DPMS. Although I typically don't use it, I've
noticed intermittent results with Xscreensaver too.

I've also gotten intermittent results running programs that mess with
dpms. mplayer, for example disables dpms on startup, and re-enables it on
exit.

FWIW, man xset will get you the initial scoop on dpms.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/